Friday, July 18, 2008

Being True To My School

This past Monday, my wife, our son, and I were visiting a college campus in a neighboring state. While on the campus tour, our exuberant tour guide decided to teach his school's fight song to us.

It just so happens that this particular university is the arch rival of the one from which I graduated, so I quite naturally did not participate. I couldn't lest I would feel like a traitor.

The guide of course noticed my non-participation and called me out. I rather bluntly explained that I was an alum from Rival School and damn proud of it! This of course was cause for much guffawing and laughter . . . But I didn't care. I'm loyal to my Alma Matter and proved it that day.

Unfortunately this was the cause of some embarrassment to my son, and near mortification on my wife's part. (Both of them participated in the lesson to varying degrees.)

So I ask you, dear readers: What would you have done?

2 comments:

pixnlil said...

Hmm, I might have even rung out my school's pride song (had I remembered it) just for funsies! Hopefully everyone would understand it to be in good fun!

M&M said...

I think you were quite restrained. You COULD have decked yourself out in your Alma Mater's colors and sung their fight song the whole time you were there.