Tuesday, October 23, 2007

The Ritches of Growing up Poor

I realize now how lucky I was to have grown up poor. Sounds strange doesn't it? This is not the first time I've found myself thinking that way either. But it did in fact take me a long time to realize how good I had it. (I was reminded of this again recently as we begin the College Financial Planing process for our two Diamonds in the rough. I'll post more on this topic soon!)

Growing up, we learned to make do without material things, and learned to be resourceful with what we did have. It also meant that we spent a lot of time with family; working together, entertaining each other with games and stories, sitting down to big holiday meals with extended family, and watching TV on Sunday evenings. My brother and I seldom wanted for much; when we couldn't afford something like a new bicycle or stereo, we fixed up what we found cheap at garage sales.

I wonder if our Diamonds will ever appreciate things the way I do?

No comments: